The Certified Peer Specialist is a complement to an array of mental health support services, although does not replace other mental health professionals. Mental health peer support is an expansion of mental health staffing patterns to include “consumers as providers” within mental health service settings. Peer support providers are recognized as a distinct provider type for the delivery of support services and is considered an evidence-based mental health model of care.
Must meet all of the following criteria:
· Must be at least 21 years old
· Have a high school diploma or equivalent
· Have or have had a primary diagnosis of mental illness
· Have received or is currently receiving mental health services
· Be willing to share one’s experience of recovery
· Successfully complete the Minnesota Department of Human Services approved Certified Peer Specialist training and certification exam
1. Care Coordination Duties
As a Medicaid-billable service, the Certified Peer Specialist provides non-clinical, person-centered, recovery focused support while helping to ensure the treatment plan reflects the needs and preferences of the person being served to achieve their measurable and individualized goals. The level of services provided must be determined on an individual basis, taking into account the intensity of the situation for the person receiving services, the experience of the Certified Peer Specialist and the acuity of the client’s condition. The Certified Peer Specialist may assist individuals in completing their own Wellness Recovery Action Plan (WRAP).
2. Administrative Responsibilities
a) Attend staff meetings as directed
b) Complete notes for services rendered in a timely manner, in keeping with policy
c) Provide required information for billing to third party payers (e.g., prior approval for managed care / insurance)
d) Provide services in orchestration with other providers, assisting in the monitoring and management of service utilization for each recipient
e) The Certified Peer Specialist must meet the following supervision requirements:
· Receive documented monthly individual clinical supervision by a Mental Health Professional during the first 2000 hours of work
· Have 18 hours of documented field supervision by a mental health professional or mental health practitioner during the first 160 hours of contact work with recipients and at least 6 hours of field supervision quarterly during the following year
· Have review and co-signature of charting of recipient contacts during field supervision by a Mental Health Professional or Mental Health Practitioner
f) Maintain continuing education requirements as needed to maintain certification, i.e., at least 30 hours every two years in areas of mental health recovery, mental health rehabilitative services and peer support, Wellness Recovery Action Plan facilitator training as needed
g) Attend case consultation meetings as directed
h) Complete administrative paperwork as required, e.g., time and expense sheets bi-weekly
i) Adhere to agency policies and procedures
3. Expected professional and team behavior
a) Direct communication with colleagues
b) Displaying a positive attitude about your job and the clinic
c) Resolving problems in a constructive manner
d) Presenting the agency and services in a positive light
e) Working in a positive and cooperative manner with others
f) Showing flexibility when situations change, and re-prioritizing work tasks when needed
Please note this job description is not designated to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Under normal circumstances the employee will need to have the physical capacity to continuously use his/her hands for simple and firm grasping and fine manipulation. The employee may be required to do the following:
• Lift and carry 25-100 lbs.
• Push / Pull
• Squat / Kneel / Stoop
• Twist upper, and lower back
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Physical demands may vary for each client. You will be provided with more information if special physical demands are needed for a client.
To Apply Click: Moorhead